• Google
  • This Months Popular Video Games

• Recent Comments

• Meta

• Symptoms and Treatment of Thrush When Nursing

By Lisa - Homeschooling Mom

Thrush And Breast Feeding

Unfortunately I have had way too much experience with thrush and mastitis over the past 9 years. Thrush is tricky- especially in new moms because there are often no visible signs.

Symptoms and Natural Treatment of Thrush While Nursing

Symptoms of Thrush

Symptoms of thrush- basically a yeast infection for mom can include: burning pain when baby latches on -often subsiding after a minute or less. Burning pain AFTER nursing . The pain is often describes as a pinching feeling or burning or shooting. What makes this different from a bad latch is this pain goes away just after latching on. The pain can be excruciating- it often brought tears to my eyes. To complicate things- a bad latch can cause a yeast infection. The nipple gets damaged and yeast can breed in blister or crack.
    Thrush in baby or toddler can show no symptoms or will look like white curd on tongue or inside cheeks. The baby will feel no pain.

Treat Thrush at Home With Gentian Violet

Both mom baby must be treated for thrush or the will keep giving it back and forth to each other.
    Women with Cesarean infections are especially prone to thrush because of the antibiotics received in IV. Breastfeeding moms who have recently taken antibiotic are at high risk for thrush. I will take acidophilus when taking antibiotics as preventive measure.

If you are new mom and this is your first experience with suspected thrush please contact your doctor or midwife immediately. It is relatively easy to cure and the pain is unnecessary and can undermine your desire to nurse and/or your milk supply.
    Note- it IS safe to nurse baby with thrush- the milk is not affected.

Natural Treatment of Thrush : Using Gentian Violet To Treat Thrush

Note: Sore nipples due to a poor latch-on technique, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis and bacterial infections can potentially present with symptoms similar to yeast. If you can identify other potential causes for your discomfort, don’t necessarily assume that you have yeast.
    babythrush2 Symptoms and Treatment of Thrush When Nursing
    I am not a doctor- this is my own experience treating thrush. I have had great success with Gentian violet (1% solution). It can be found at most drug stores or health food stores. I used a Q-tip to “paint” each nipple. Some people also swish Q-tip around in baby’s mouth however the baby will be treat when he nurses. Gentian Violet is extremely MESSY!!! It is a deep purple and stains anything it touches. For this reason I recommend using a night. I used for four nights at first sign of thrush.
    Baby will have a purple mouth and teeth but this goes after away after a day or so.
    Use gentian violet as first line of defense- it works most times. If you worsen or still have symptoms after 3 days I would go to doctor.

More on Symptoms and Natural Treatment of Thrush While Nursing and Breastfeeding Help

For more information visit Dr. Jack Newton’s excellent site on nursing and breastfeeding. Visit his site and read his article on using gentian violet to treat thrush

Related Homeschooling and Unschooling Articles

Help Raise Money For Milk BanksWhy Sarah Palin and Pandering to Christian Right will BackfireIs It Anti-Feminist To Disapprove of Sarah Palin’s Parenting?

Topics: Attachment Parenting, General Homeschooling and Unschooling | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “Symptoms and Treatment of Thrush When Nursing”

1. Reiki Says:
      May 8th, 2008 at 10:26 am

I am always interested in learning about new ways to treat ailments. I thought that this article was well written and pretty informative. The Gentian violet is an amazing remedy for thrush that I have used after a close friend told me about it- I can tell you from experience that it does indeed work.

2. Dr. Will Says:
      February 26th, 2009 at 11:33 am

If GV gets on skin, take an alcohol prep, or alcohol soaked cotton and repeatedly dab, but do not wipe the area. The GV is more soluble in alcohol than skin (fat, water etc.) Also works somewhat in clothes, but once it is on, it is pretty tenacious.

3. Gary Winnick Says:
      February 28th, 2009 at 2:26 am

If GV gets on skin, advancement an alcohol prep, or alcohol soaked cotton and much dab, but gain not swab the area. The GV is fresh soluble clout alcohol than check (fat, drench etc.) Also plant reasonably mark clothes, but once irrefutable is on, sound is foxy tenacious.

4. Karen Says:
      April 21st, 2009 at 6:43 am

My daughter just got her first bout of thrush and we found that soaking her ‘purple laundry’ in warm water with a small scoop of baby oxy-clean got the stains out in about 10 minutes with no scrubbing. After soaking and rinsing we threw the clothing in the wash as usual and the clothes were as good as new. A real time saver for anyone dealing with ‘purple laundry’.

5. Carrie Says:
      January 29th, 2010 at 9:42 am

lol, I remember being scared to take my oldest baby out because he looked like Papa Smurf from the gentian violet. :)

6. Donna Says:
      May 11th, 2010 at 8:41 pm

After using prescribed drugs from the doctor for 2 weeks and not having it work, we Googled for alternative messures to combat Thrush. Thank you for posting this! We have tried GV for the first time today and already feeling relief.

7. Fernando Says:
      July 14th, 2010 at 7:16 am

finally a place where it mentions the Gentian violet, I all the time say it works to friends and family, but no one really trusts me, I should start sharing this article!

8. Ardis Kelzer Says:
      August 4th, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Is there any source of Gentian Violet that is not so purple. I have a brother (adult) that due to an extreme amount of stress due to the economic conditions and forclosure that has been suffering from thrush for a long time. I got some myself due to peridontal disease and one treatment took vrom Monday night until Wednesday morning for my tounge to return to nearly normal coloring. HOWEVER, I can tell it made a difference. My brother is a business owner and needs to see clients and it seems this would become a self concious issue. I myself was conscious of not showing my tongue which requires a concious effort to keep a quite sober faced disposition. I will use it again, but its got to be timed so I use on a Friday night and keep to myself for the weekend due to the amazing purple tounge it produces. Is there a version with less powerful staining?

Comments